Chris Powell joined the Dr. Oz Show today. He is a Transformation Specialist, helping obese people to change their lives forever. He says we can’t change our lives by ourselves: we need at least one other person or a whole team of people around us to help.
If you can’t have Chris move into your house for 90 days to transform you, you can still do it. He says to set SMART goals. That’s an acronym for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic , Time-Sensitive. Also, Chris says that our bodies run on glucose which is carbohydrates broken down. We need carbohydrates to live, that’s why our bodies crave them. You just have to use the correctly to get amazing results.
Chris’ secret is to have high-carb days and low-carb days.
- Eat a meal every 3 hours (that’s five meals in the day).
- Eat one serving of protein and one serving of complex carbohydrates and all the veggies you want at every meal
- Minimize fat
- Eat a meal every 3 hours
- Eat complex carbs ONLY at breakfast
- Eat protein, vegetables and healthy fats the rest of the day
Basically, the high-carb meal boosts your metabolism and the low-carb day burns fat. Do these on alternating days through the week, but on the 7th day you can eat whatever you want (within reason). Just be careful not to bring any unhealthy food into the house. Go out for it on that one day you’ve got free rein.
3 Insider Tips to Carb Cravings
- Create an environment for success. Remove all the high sugar, empty carbohydrate foods from your house. Replace them with complex carbohydrates.
- Eat protein every 3 hours. That’s five meals a day! To save time, use a Blender Bottle to make a protein shake out of whey protein powder.
- Change happens in just 2 minutes. Chris shared his favorite exercise which is called “Down & Ups” or “Burpees.” Do these straight for 2 minutes. These workouts can be seen on Chris’ DVD. (Buy on Amazon.com)
Hidden Road Block to Weight Loss
If you’re trying to lose weight and just can’t, it’s possible that one of your organs could be the problem. The thyroid gland could be underactive, and if untreated, could cause a goiter in your neck. This makes your neck look swollen.
Some symptoms of underactive thyroid are bloating, feeling sluggish and storing fat instead of dumping it. You can check yourself for hypothyroidism by touching your neck and swallowing. If your thyroid is swollen, you’ll feel it near the thing that moves when you swallow. Also check your eyes: if they appear to bulge, that could be a sign. Excessive hair loss is also a sign, and the most common symptom for women.
Dr. Oz’s Anti-Aging Cocktails
Dr. Tanya Edwards of the Cleveland Clinic’s Alternative Medicine department, and Rob Turic, an award-winning bartender, joined together to produce anti-aging cocktails for Dr. Oz!
Heart Smart Cooler (non-alcoholic)
- 1 tablespoon Blueberries
- 1 tablespoon Blackberries
- 4 Mint leaves
- 2 Basil leaves
- 1/2 ounce Pomegranate Juice
- 1/2 ounce Green Tea
- 4 ounces Seltzer Water
Muddle the berries, mint and basil in a tall glass then add the juice, tea and seltzer water. Top with a sprig of mint.
- 1/4 cup Ground Walnuts
- 1 ounce Vanilla Vodka
- 1 ounce Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1/2 ounce Dark Chocolate Lark chocolate liquor
- An Orange Wedge
Rub the orange wedge on the rim of a martini glass and dip in the crushed walnuts to coat. Put the vodka and liqueurs in a shaker with ice and shake well. Strain into the martini glass and garnish with chocolate shavings.
Vitamin A Fights Wrinkles
- Combats flaky skin by stimulating the skin to produce new cells
- Prevents crow’s feet by keeping your vision good, thereby reducing squinting